Cariñena to Launch the Fall Season with #GarnachaDay Challenge (September 18)
*Sign up for the Garnacha Challenge and get to know the original Garnacha —
Fall-to-Holiday Samples are Now Available*
NEW YORK, NY (August 26, 2020) — Mark your calendars for September 18! The Cariñena region of Spain is planning their annual celebration of #GarnachaDay, the traditional kick-off of the harvest and holiday season. The highlight of this year’s #GarnachaDay virtual experience is a #GarnachaChallenge led by Master Sommelier Fred Dexheimer. Known for his high-energy, fun approach to active learning and tasting, Dexheimer will taste and explore the original character of Garnacha and share insights on this world variety with participants through Zoom on Friday September 18 at 2PM EST.
Here are some reasons to get to know the Garnacha wines from Cariñena:
- A historic place: Situated in the northeast region of Aragon, Cariñena is the historic birthplace of Garnacha, a grape variety that enjoys worldwide popularity. The second oldest wine region in Spain (after Rioja), Cariñena was named an official “Denomination of Origin” in 1932.
- Stylish wines at amazing value! Garnacha from Cariñena features a character and style that stand out with a balanced and fruity-flavor profile (think strawberry, raspberry, black cherry characteristics). The wines of Cariñena also get high scores for their quality-to-value pricing.
- Old Vine Garnacha is the definitive characteristic of Garnacha from Cariñena: The older the grape vines, the higher the quality. Cariñena is home to more old vine Garnacha than anywhere else is Spain. Half-a-century old vines are common in Cariñena, with plantings ranging in age from 30 to over 100 years. Higher altitude plantings of Garnacha lend further complexity to the vines.
- Sign up for the Garnacha Challenge and join us from September 18 through Thanksgiving on social media for more information and giveaway opportunities to educate trade, media and consumer wine lovers about the wines of Cariñena. We’re pleased to offer Old Vine Garnacha wines from Cariñena in honor of #GarnachaDay:
- The fruit-forward and contemporary, Celebrities Garnacha 2019 from Bodegas San Valero
- The rich, classic style, Monasterio de las Viñas Old Vine Garnacha 2016 from Grandes Vinos
We are ready to ship select wines in time for September 18 so you can join the conversation about Garnacha Day, @VinosCariñena and beyond. Want to learn even more about Garnacha from Cariñena? Visit www.wineregiontowatch.com for additional information. To request a sample contact Stephanie Gutierrez (firstname.lastname@example.org). Note: Supplies are limited!