This recipe of Migas Aragonesas is a humble dish that is made from the left-over bread. Traditionally, the bread was kept in a cloth bag and when there was enough bread for the whole family the crumbs were prepared.
Depending on the region in which they are prepared, these migas have many ways of being prepared. As an accompaniment to the bread you can use chorizo, bacon, peppers, grapes, sardines and many other ingredients. The migas we bring you this time are the migas of Aragon, which are also known as migas de pastor, since it was their idea to take advantage of the bread.
600 grams of hard bread from 1 or 2 days
4 strips of fresh or marinated bacon
5 cloves of garlic
1 grape branch
1 glass of water
1 small glass of oil
Cut the bread in very thin slices, put it in a deep bowl and add water little by little to soak the bread. Stir it so that all the bread is slightly humid. It is only necessary that it softens and is not very wet so that it does not end up being a pap.
Tip: You will need to fill at least half a bag. Do not use soft bread.
- Leave the bread to rest for 40-50 minutes, cover it with a tea towel.
- Cut the bacon and chorizo into pieces. Peel the garlic cloves and leave them whole.
- In a deep-frying pan put a good jet of oil and add the garlic, the chorizo and the bacon. Stir-fry everything, take it out and put it aside.
- In the same casserole with the frying oil, add the soaked breadcrumbs and, with the help of the spatula, move and turn the bread. It will release all the humidity and cook.
- You will see that the crumbs will come off and some will be a little crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside. To get them loose, you have to turn them over all the time during the 30 minutes of cooking. If they stick to the base nothing happens, go ahead and take them off, but don’t add more oil so that the bread doesn’t absorb it and it gets very oily.
- When they are as you like them, you can add a little salt although, in this case, we have not put it. Add part of the chorizo and bacon and if you prefer, add the garlic too. Stir everything together for a few minutes.
- And when they are served the shepherd’s crumbs on a plate. You can then add the grapes and the meat. You can also put everything together on a plate so that everyone can serve themselves to their liking.